The Morgan Stanley Institute for Sustainable Investing (the Institute) announced the third cohort of its Sustainable Solutions Collaborative (the Collaborative). Launched in 2020, the Collaborative aims to identify breakthrough innovations that address complex global sustainability issues.
The third cohort will participate in a bespoke yearlong strategic collaboration with the Institute, allowing each organization to tap into the full range of Morgan Stanley’s expertise, networks and resources to help achieve scale. Each winner will also receive an award of $250,000 to increase the impact of their initiatives.
The Institute engaged a diverse network of sustainability thought leaders and practitioners from a wide variety of sectors to make anonymous nominations. Chosen from the most competitive applicant pool yet, the winning organizations show great potential for systemic impact and will benefit from deep and sustained engagement with Morgan Stanley, as well as partnerships across private and public sectors and disciplines.
“To tackle complex sustainability challenges, we need to advance innovative systemic solutions,” said Jessica Alsford, Morgan Stanley Chief Sustainability Officer and CEO of the Institute for Sustainable Investing. “This year’s Sustainable Solutions Collaborative members are dedicated to making a significant impact on our planet and society, and we are excited to support their groundbreaking work.”
The organizations in the 2023 Sustainable Solutions Collaborative include:
- EarthEnable, a nonprofit headquartered in Rwanda and operating across East Africa, designs and builds affordable housing products made from local, natural materials – including transforming disease-causing dirt floors using compacted earth and a flax-based sealant for healthy and sustainable housing.
- MycoTile, a Kenyan startup, manufactures insulation materials made from agricultural waste bonded with mushroom mycelium. Their carbon-negative product delivers stronger insulative properties at a lower price than traditional building materials.
- Puraffinity, a UK-based startup, is tackling the health and environmental challenges of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), also known as “forever chemicals.” Their low-carbon green chemistry approach allows for PFAS capture and reuse.
- RECARBON, an Italian startup, gives new value to carbon fiber waste, creating innovative products made of recycled carbon fiber with significant cost savings and reduced carbon intensity of virgin carbon fiber products.
- Sparxell, a UK-based startup, is leveraging patented technology to develop the first bioinspired fully biodegradable non-toxic pigments, glitters, sequins and films. Extractable from agricultural waste, the company’s products enable a more resilient supply chain.
“This year’s Sustainable Solutions Collaborative winners were selected from our largest group of applicants to date, underscoring the breadth of innovative solutions entering the marketplace,” said Matthew Slovik, Head of Global Sustainable Finance at Morgan Stanley. “In providing these organizations with capital, networking opportunities and additional resources for growth, we aim to help them bring their game-changing concepts to scale.”
The 2023 Collaborative members join two previous cohorts of organizations developing innovations including solar irrigation systems, soil carbon monitoring, community healthcare access, seaweed-based plastic alternative and ultra-low-carbon concrete. These ten alumni organizations are working across four continents and global oceans.
To learn more about the Sustainable Solutions Collaborative, please visit here.
About Morgan Stanley
Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS) is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, wealth management and investment management services. With offices in 42 countries, the Firm’s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments, institutions and individuals. For further information about Morgan Stanley, please visit www.morganstanley.com.
About the Institute for Sustainable Investing
The Morgan Stanley Institute for Sustainable Investing (The Institute) builds scalable finance solutions that seek to deliver competitive financial returns while driving positive environmental and social impact. Founded in 2013, The Institute creates innovative financial products, thoughtful insights and capacity building programs that help maximize capital to create a more sustainable future.